Sunday, May 17, 2009

Star Trek...and other amusing rants

Last weekend, I went with my family to see Star Trek for Mother's day (yes, we're that kind of family).
It. Was. AWESOME.
As previously established, I love Star Trek. Not on the rabid "I'm going to dress up as a Klingon and learn the language" level, but more of a chill "I like watching the show and reading the books" level. Recently on CSI, there was an episode that paid homage to both Star Trek: TOS and the Battlestar Galactica reimagining. One of the main characters scoffed at the fanboys and fangirls until a bartender (one of a wise and empathetic race) opined that if you want to believe in a future where everyone has put aside their differences, is that such a bad thing? I agree, and work to try to make that future a reality. Or, at least the social aspect since warp travel is not in my field of expertise.
Anyways, I loved the movie. I loved the casting of the characters, the mannerisms adopted, the new interpretation. And, in true Star Trek form, they side-stepped having to adhere to canon by saying...(Spoilers)...Hey guys! We're in an alternate universe!...(End Spoilers)...That still cracks me up.
I must say that I especially liked Karl Urban as Dr. McCoy. He really channeled DeForest Kelley in his mannerisms but still made McCoy his own. Also, Simon Pegg was hilarious as Scotty. One of my favorite moments was after a pregnant pause and Scotty says "I like this ship! It's exciting!"
Well, that's mostly the end of my Star Trek rant for now, but one other thing I noticed this week is that when a character is seen typing on a keyboard (and this was on a Hallmark Channel movie from a while ago) and you watch the characters appear on the screen, they typing sounds are sometimes just random clacking noises. No actual correlation between a character appearing and an individual clack. Hm.
Live long and prosper.

1 comment:

  1. gotta say, I loved Star Trek as well. i've been twice now, once with the fam (last week) and with my girl (this weekend) (not in IMAX yet, they were sold out today ;_;). the casting was excellent, Giacchino's score was solid (no theme that sticks in the head like some of the previous films managed) but still good, the story made sense (despite the potential for epic fail from explaining [plot device spoilers redacted]), the effects were phenomenal (ILM ftw), and the action was excellent. Exactly the kick in the pants the series needed after the travesty of Nemesis and the 'meh' quality of Enterprise (anybody else catch the side reference to Enterprise in the film?). I loved the little touches (like the fins moving on the nacelles before the jump to warp, or the character's mannerisms and speech patters ("dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a physicist.")). so yeah. i liked it. and i'm a serious trekker :P

    ReplyDelete