Friday, February 18, 2011

I did it.

I made the red velvet cake.

MISSION COMPLETE

I also remembered to take pictures before it was devoured!
Cream cheese icing. Yum.


It sat there a few days barely touched (which had me slightly worried) and then BOOM. It disappeared. I think everyone was working up the nerve to tackle it.

JUST LOOK AT IT

You may have noticed that it's a bit pink. Funny story.
I had all the ingredients except for the red food coloring. Just, you know, the iconic part of the red velvet cake. So I ran out to Food Basics. No food coloring, period. Same story at the Shoppers Drug Mart down the road. I finally take the trek all the way out to Loblaws and they are COMPLETELY out of red food coloring. Both by itself and in the little 4-pack of colors. All that's left are the NEON colors.

So I grab the neon colors and purchase them. Once I'm home, I open them up and test a drop of the red in some milk. It turns NEON RED. So red it necessitates capital letters.

But, beggars can't be choosers. I whip up the rest of the cake and the time comes to add the food coloring. I finally throw in only a quarter of the recommended amount of food coloring and make up the rest in vegetable oil.

I'm quite happy with the result. A bit more Valentines-y than the deep red.

I still have leftover cream cheese icing and will make cupcakes since I'm now prepping for reading week and need to use it up.

OMG CAKE

No comments:

Post a Comment